The oldest building of the city has served for the most different utilisations. In 1685 it was erected as an Orangery for the tropical plants that couldn┤t survive the winter outside, but just 30 years later it was converted and expanded to serve as stable for the royal horses.
When the monarchy was abandoned in 1918 the Potsdam-Museum moved in and when it was reconstructed after World War II the Filmmuseum was founded and shows a permanent exhibition on the history of the famous Babelsberg studios.
Highlight: The cinema inside shows selected and award-winning movies, often in the original version with subtitles. Regularly silent movies from the 20s are shown, that are accompanied on a real theatre organ!