Remains of the citywall
The three remaining city gates bear witness to the fact, that Potsdam once was within a city wall, which was demolished just a hundred years ago. Here stands the only conserved piece of the 4 meter high wall, that was a barrier for deserting soldiers and earned the king some money – all goods imported to the city where taxed at the gates.
The last fisherman of the river Havel in Potsdam has his business in the Große Fischerstraße, the great fishermenstreet – he is the last the descendant of the fishermen, that founded the city of Potsdam more than 1000 years ago on this exact place.
Highlight: The remains of the city channel, that entered the city next to the last piece of the city wall.
Am Kanal / Große Fischerstraße